Thursday, March 18, 2010

How Did I Get The Name Do-Dot?

Claire Thomas Dean, Jr.

I thought it would only be appropriate to start my blog with a question that I am asked frequently. "How did you get the name Do-Dot"? When I was young, but old enough to remember, my uncle Thomas Dean pinned this name on me. The photo is one of his earlier Naval shots.
I was born on September 24, 1951. My father was W.H.Johnson, Jr., more commonly known as "Shag" and my mother was Joycelyn Dean Johnson, commonly known as Joyce. Claire Thomas Dean, my uncle, was my mother's only brother. Uncle Thomas was my favorite! He was the one who kept a journal of every single penny that he made and how he spent it, but he was such a good person. If he took me to Payne's for a coke, he wrote that nickel down! He always wanted me to succeed in everything, so he constantly would come up with fun ways to help me learn. I remember the times that he offered to pay me $5.00 if I could learn and quote the presidents of the United States without any hesitation or help. Keep in mind that $5.00 in my early childhood was a "bunch" of money. To the best of my memory I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. Needless to say, I would take his challenges every time without hesitation. I might add that I collected a considerable amount of money in this endeavor. I was only 8 years old when Uncle Thomas graduated from Auburn University, on a Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps scholarship, with a batchelor of Science in Science and Literature. After graduating he commissioned an Ensign in the Supply Corps of the U.S. Navy. At this point, I knew that he would not be at home as much and my favorite uncle would be traveling the world. Even with his Naval career he did not abandon me. He would still challenge me and help me via "snail mail" and we would play catch-up when he came home. His goal was to make me a stronger person and help me learn. I see that now although I didn't realize it at the time. As he traveled the world he would find and send me such interesting items about the country where he was. He would send books, dolls, science kits, anything to learn and there was always a story that went with each gift. He didn't consider the item to be a "toy", it was a learning tool. Although, at the time, I sure did have fun with the dolls! His life story is an interesting one and I am going to post a dedicated blog just to him in the near future. He was born and raised in a Christian home and he was a major part of my life. I can still remember, as he would give me the $5.00 I had earned, saying, "Good job, Do-Dot!, you are so smart! " The name just stuck. As I grew older, I decided that Do-Dot was not really "cool" so I just hid it back with my other memories. Several years ago I needed a nickname for a program that I was installing on my computer. I thought and thought and nothing came to mind. Out of the blue, bingo! Do-Dot! It stuck!
http://www.MemoryPrintsPhotography.com
http://www.YouTube.com/dodotburgess


No comments:

Post a Comment